About me

About me
๐ŸŒฟ I've been gardening ever since a child, when I spent time with my father in his vegetable garden. But my fascination with Echeverias started in the 1980's, when my father gave me a pot with five Echeverias, which turned out to be E. imbricata. At first I wasn't much interested in them and planted them in some obscure corner of the garden and completely forgot about them. How great was my surprise when, a couple of months later, I noticed that they had spread and made a beautiful display - I was hooked!

Monday 10 February 2014

Bunny Ears Cactus


Opuntia microdasys is a species of cactus native and endemic to central and northern Mexico. In fact, the name Bunny Ears, or ‘Opuntia Microdasys’, refers to the shape of the cactus and the way other offshoots grow off the main stem at an angle, and not to the texture of the bunny ear-shaped growths. If you were to try to feel the surface of the huge succulent leaves, you might get a nasty shock as a beginner cactus-carer, as one of the first things to beware of when caring for your Bunny Ears, is the highly irritant spines.


They are tender houseplants and cannot handle frost. Mine spends summer on the patio and is brought inside to a location that is bright and dry but not too cold.

The polka dot cactus (other common name) is fairly easy to grow if a grower can provide enough bright light, no over-watering, provide it’s winter resting period and average room temperatures. Simple!


But despite the cute name, the Bunny Ear Cactus is in no way cuddly. When handling this cactus, be extremely careful. The spines come off with a simple touch, and despite thick gloves I always manage to get thorns somewhere and it’s the most irritating burn and itch you can imagine and very difficult to get rid of! The Bunny cacti is native to northern Mexico and desert regions stretching into Arizona. This plant has the appearance of a shrub, and spreads out to cover between 2-5 feet of ground as a mature plant. The name is derived from its appearance akin to a bunny’s ears.


::
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...