About me

About me
🌿 I've been gardening ever since a child, when I spent time with my father in his vegetable garden. But my fascination with Echeverias started in the 1980's, when my father gave me a pot with five Echeverias, which turned out to be E. imbricata. At first I wasn't much interested in them and planted them in some obscure corner of the garden and completely forgot about them. How great was my surprise when, a couple of months later, I noticed that they had spread and made a beautiful display - I was hooked!

Wednesday 22 April 2015

Echeveria harmsii


Family : Crassulaceae
Botanical Name : ECHEVERIA harmsii
Plant Common Name : Plush Plant


This soft little fuzzy succulent has beautiful leaf colour that adds interest to small gardens and pots. It is a rosette-forming species that hails from northern Mexico. This evergreen forms small asymmetrical rosettes comprised of fleshy, football-shaped leaves with a burnished-red cast along the leaf edges. The rosette will occasionally send out pups, or lateral plantlets. As these accumulate, the plant develops a mound-like habit.


This succulent has large, beautiful flowers, but it is not a heavy bloomer. In spring it sends up stems topped with orange, bell-shaped flowers with golden throats. Each stem may include many flowers that open at different times for a longer season of colour. The blooms are highly attractive to hummingbirds.
Like most succulents, this plant prefers full sun and needs very porous soil, whether grown in a pot or a frost free rock garden. As plants age, they grow rangy but this can easily be remedied with careful pruning. The cuttings root easily in moist sand. Watering should be done sparingly as this is a very drought tolerant plant. Feed it occasionally from spring to summer occasionally with a liquid fertilizer solution at half strength.


This one started flowering shortly after I put out out in the sun in January, but I have just brought in for the winter as I'm not sure how it will handle the frost we get here.

The beautiful flowers of Echeveria harmsii - taken on my patio

Image from the web somewhere


.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...