About me

About me
🌿 I've been gardening ever since a child, when I spent time with my father in his vegetable garden. But my fascination with Echeverias started in the 1980's, when my father gave me a pot with five Echeverias, which turned out to be E. imbricata. At first I wasn't much interested in them and planted them in some obscure corner of the garden and completely forgot about them. How great was my surprise when, a couple of months later, I noticed that they had spread and made a beautiful display - I was hooked!

Sunday 20 July 2014

Aloe ellenbeckii


Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh)
Species: ellenbeckii (el-len-BEK-ee-eye)

These low-growing, drought-tolerant aloes grow in sun to partial shade and start flowering mid-Autumn to early-Winter. Aloe ellenbeckii is a widespread species in East Africa, but he population may be in slow gradual decline due to loss and degradation of it's habitat - natural areas in the region where Aloe ellenbeckii occurs are increasingly under pressure from agricultural expansion.

Aloe ellenbeckii grows in partial shelter of bushes in deciduous bushland on limestone. Small plants are clumped together, and clumps are scattered. The plants have fleshy thick leaves of beige and light-green with rows of lighter toned dots that are placed up and down each leaf. The Aloe ellenbeckii produces beautiful white teeth on its leaves, with a variegated spot look. The new plants produced by the Aloe ellenbeckii spread loosely across the landscape into large colonies. 



.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...