About me

About me
๐ŸŒฟ I've been gardening ever since a child, when I spent time with my father in his vegetable garden. But my fascination with Echeverias started in the 1980's, when my father gave me a pot with five Echeverias, which turned out to be E. imbricata. At first I wasn't much interested in them and planted them in some obscure corner of the garden and completely forgot about them. How great was my surprise when, a couple of months later, I noticed that they had spread and made a beautiful display - I was hooked!

Sunday 8 May 2022

Waiting for the rain

I never thought I’d be saying, ‘waiting for the rain’ so soon after the massive floods we had here on the Dolphin Coast a mere three or four weeks ago (we had 244mm in less than 23 hours), but if I don’t bring out the hosepipe soon, I’m going to have a very grumpy succulent garden on my hands. Under the Tradescantia (above), the Callisia repens is dry and brittle and I have actually removed huge patches of it (they spread like a wild-fire anyway) to make way for new growth. Provided I water it. All the plants here at the coast are used to regular rain, at least twice a week, so no rain for the past month is not good.


My (new) rain gauge is also waiting patiently, he hasn’t seen a drop since I installed him 3 weeks ago.


The succulents I do have in pots, like the Graptoveria and Sedum above, are easier to water and to keep an eye on and they don’t need that much water anyway.


But I have been coddling my newly-sprouted Leatherleaf Fern (not a succulet, I know, but I have a soft spot for any type of fern, I never had much chance of growing them in Tarlton (Gauteng, South Africa), because of the dry weather and frost-bitten winters there), so if a fern of whatever lineage wants to sprout in my garden, she will have my full cooperation! 
๐Ÿ’š

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...