About me

About me
🌿 I've been gardening ever since a child, when I spent time with my father in his vegetable garden. But my fascination with Echeverias started in the 1980's, when my father gave me a pot with five Echeverias, which turned out to be E. imbricata. At first I wasn't much interested in them and planted them in some obscure corner of the garden and completely forgot about them. How great was my surprise when, a couple of months later, I noticed that they had spread and made a beautiful display - I was hooked!

Saturday, 25 July 2026

Faires in the garden

We are at the beginning of winter here in South Africa and the succulents are all starting to respond with their winter finery--the first being the Crassula multicava (Fairy crassula), which is already sporting its beautiful pink little stars. This is a true shade-loving succulent with glossy, oval-to-round leaves that are slightly darker in shade than in full sun. The flowers are petite, charming little stars, hence the common name fairy crassula, and appear in masses above the attractive leaves. The leaves contain hydathodes (water-secreting pores), which serve for rapid absorption of water from the leaf surface.


Because of its free-seeding, easy rooting and perennial nature, Crussula multicava is not endangered and generally occurs in abundance in its natural habitat. Since planting 5 little seedlings a few years ago, they have spread rapidly and I actually have to thin them out every season or else ... or else what? I don't actually know! lol! A garden covered in pink little stars wouldn't be that bad! 


Crassula multicava, indigenous to South Africa, occurs on forest margins, river and stream banks, and in coastal and subtropical thickets from Mpumulanga and KwaZulu-Natal to the Eastern and southern Cape. Plants show a preference for well-composted, deep soils as well as clay soils and occur in partial shade. They are found in sheltered frost-free areas.


During their "dormant" season, which is summer, they form a beautiful ground-cover and are excellent for borders.



Apart from seed dispersal, the plants easily root and spread from leaves that fall or break off from the mother plant. They also propagate themselves by producing plantlets on the flowerhead that drop off onto the soil beneath the parent plant, and develop into independent plants. During late summer they cover the ground in a thick carpet of tiny buds.


So, if you plant a few (maybe stolen from a friend?) multicava's, you will never be without a gift for another gardening friend!

::
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...